The Mayflower

















We are so grateful we had the opportunity last week to visit Plymouth where replication of the Mayflower is now docked.  Going aboard really brought history to life.  It is amazing to think that 102 people lived on this ship for 66 days and that they traveled is not the most ideal weather conditions arriving in Massachusetts in November.  The ship isn't really that big.  I can't imagine having a baby aboard this ship as two women did.  The children and I learned all about their daily lives.  Totally crazy!  I don't think I would have been so brave to go on a journey where there were no established homes or gardens, and as I mentioned previously in the post on Plymouth half of those who came over died the first winter.  While in Plymouth, we also saw the rock on which the Pilgrims first stepped foot upon.  I have to say the rock was kind of disappointing as I had imagined it much larger than it really is, and I was also disappointed that we could not touch the rock.  Apparently, the rock was much larger, but somewhere in time pieces of the rock were sold off.   

Comments

Francesca said…
interesting! I love the photo of big brother holding hands with little sisters!
NCSue said…
Fascinating!
I enjoyed these shots and appreciate you linking them at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2015/07/variations.html
Molly said…
My husbands ancestor traveled on the Mayflower to the USA all those years ago and were one of the few who survived.

Mollyxxx
CountryMouse said…
This looks like so much fun for all ages.

Popular Posts