Chinatown

When I was a child, we lived in Lake Tahoe for 4 years and we came often to San Francisco.  We would go to Chinatown and I remember looking into all the storefronts with awe.  It seemed so mysterious.  Jars filled with strange things, shops filled with herbal medicines, writing I couldn't read, cooked chickens hanging in the windows ready to eat, and faces so different than mine.  Little did I know over 30 years later I would adopt a little girl from China.  I have grown to love all those things I found so strange.  While here in San Francisco we went to Chinatown.  We enjoyed a delicious meal at the Cathay House which is the oldest restaurant in Chinatown it opened in 1938. If one didn't know better, you would think you were really in China.  Old grandmas and grandpas sit in the park playing card games and they talk just like back in China.  It is wonderful!



















Comments

Francesca said…
so sorry i didn't get the time to visit that part of town when I was there!
Leggio said…
Love visiting San fransisco. I grew up in Northern California. I loved going into the city and going to the wharf and having yummy clam chowder and sourdough. My parents would buy me pajamas I'm Chinatown each year.
NCSue said…
These are really nice shots. I've only had one opportunity to visit a Chinatown, and I found it fascinating.
Thanks for linking up at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2015/07/a-community-with-holiday-spirit.html
Rhonda Albom said…
I also lived in Lake Tahoe and in San Francisco and loved Chinatown, especially the little colorful shoes and the yummy food.

Popular Posts