Summer Reading



 






I had the best summer of reading.  I haven't been able to read much since I got home, but what a summer.  The first summer book was The Paper Daughters by Heather Moore which is based on a true story of Chinese immigrants to the United States.  In the case of this story, the little girl was actually sold into slavery by her family due to debts and was shipped to San Francisco.  This story takes place around the end of the 19th-century beginning of the 20th century.  The story is meant for young readers, but I would say it probably is meant for a more mature reader as the story is difficult to read at times.  I had bought the book for my girls, but they showed very little interest in reading it and so I read it instead.  It is a good story.  I gave it to the neighbor girl who is 15 and she liked the story but didn't love the book despite the historical genre being her favorite. The next book I read is about The Magnificent Life of Majorie Post by Allison Pataki The story is based on her real life, but it is not an autobiography. I loved this story and was fascinated by her life. I had seen a small clip about her father years ago on the Food Network when they do stories on the history of food or maybe it was on the History Network, but I am not sure.  Apparently, her home today is a museum in Georgetown, Virginia and I would love to visit.  Donald Trump now owns Mar-a-Lago in Florida which she built. One True Loves by Taylor Jenkins Reid is a great romance novel that apparently has been made into a made-for-TV movie.  I saw a clip for it on YouTube, but I wish it had been made for the big screen. I don't want to say much about the book as I don't want to give away the story-line.  It is a good read. Just for the Summer by Abby Jimenez was my favorite of all the stories I read.  It is also a love story.  So so good! Occasionally, one just needs a fun, lighthearted read. The Brilliant Life of Eudora Honeysett by Annie Lyons is a fictional story that has one thinking about the end of life, community, and purpose. While the theme of the story is sad in some ways it is also purposeful and endearing as the main character navigates how she wants to live out her final days. Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance is his true story.  I am sure everyone has heard about this book now that he is Trump's candidate for Vice President.  I had actually heard about this book years ago and bought the book back in 2021, but for one reason or another, the book did not get read and sat on my German apartment bookshelf until I found the time to read it this summer. I had actually started reading it before the announcement. The book is much different from the movie version as the book version really dives into the socio-economic status of those who live in Eastern Kentucky also known as Appalachia. I did find the story the epitome of the American rag to riches or American Dream story that anyone who wants to make a better life for themselves if they so desire.  The last and final book that I read for the summer was called The Alice Network by Kate Quinn.  While the story is fictional parts of the story are taken from the stories of women who have worked as spies during WWI.  In all honesty, I have read much about that time in history. Given that women couldn't even vote back then, I was surprised that they were used as spies. This story unfolds slowly, so you need a little patience when reading it.  Well, it is late and I have to get up for church in the morning.  It has been a long weekend filled with many good things, but I am tired so I will see you back here soon.   

Comments

Popular Posts