Wednesday, June 30, 2010
Tuesday, June 29, 2010
Sunday, June 27, 2010
Bakery Nouveau located off of California Avenue. Alki Beach Bakery is also wonderful!
Saturday, June 26, 2010
Golden Gardens located in a part of the city called Ballard. While the water is not very warm even on the hottest of Seattle days, what is great about the this beach is that it offers BBQ pits and a play structure for little ones to play on. The weather did not cooperate most of my trip, and temperatures ranged in the high 50's to 60's. On this particular day we lucked out. On our way to the beach we stopped at Cupcake Royal. Someone had to try them and I was happy to do it. My favorite was the Salted Carmel. Yummy! The frosting is Divine! The cupcakes are made with the finest of Organic ingredients. Miss my friends daughter had a great time climbing on the driftwood. Isn't she cute and she is smart as a whip too! Afterwards, we stopped at the Totem House for fish taco's located across the street from the Ballard Locks. I had always wanted to try them, but just had never gotten around to having one. They were perfect. The fish was fresh and crisp wrapped in a soft tortilla shell with red cabbage, tomatoes, and sour cream. I think I will be eating more of these.
My Grandpa and I
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons granulated sugar for sprinkling
1 stick unsalted butter (8 tablespoons), cut in half the long way and then each
1 egg , beaten 1/2 cup half-and-half
1 tablespoon half-and-half
1 egg white, lightly beaten
2 boxes of berries
1 cup whipping cream or heavy cream, whipped with one tablespoon of sugar and one teaspoon of vanilla extract.
1. Preheat the oven to 425
2. Cut the butter in half and then half again the long way. Cut the 4 butter quarters in 1/2 inch slices. Put these on a plate, cover with plastic, and put this in the freezer while you're assembling everything else.
3. Hull the strawberries, that is, remove the stem and leaves and tiny core from the top of the berries. Cut the berries in half or in quarters, depending on the size of the berries. Sprinkle them with 1 tablespoon of sugar and let them stand while you make the biscuits.
4. Put the flour, salt, baking powder, and 3 tablespoons of sugar in the food processor and pulse a few times to blend. Distribute the butter over the top of the flour mixture and pulse until the mixture resembles "coarse meal." The CI people say this will be about 15 1-second pulses but I can't corroborate because I lost count during this process.
5. Dump this into a mixing bowl, mix the lightly beaten egg with the half-and-half, then gently stir it into the flour mixture until clumps form. Flour a work surface, then gently knead the dough until it just comes together. Pat the dough into a rectangle 9 inches by 6 inches that's about 3/4 of an inch thick. Cut out six rounds of dough with a 2 3/4 inch biscuit cutter and place them on a cookie sheet. Brush the tops with the lightly beaten egg white and then sprinkle the tops with one to two tablespoons of sugar.
6. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. Cool on a rack for ten minutes. Then split each biscuit in half crosswise. Place a large spoonful or two of berries and the juice they've exuded on top of the bottom biscuit. Be generous with the berries Top with a large dollop of whipped cream. Perch the biscuit top at a rakish angle on top of the whipped cream. Serve with additional whipped cream on the side. Recipe from Christopher Kimball of Cook's Illustrated.
Friday, June 25, 2010
Essential Bakery which offers totally fresh and tasty lunches or breakfast. I love their tuna salad sandwiches which aren't your totally typical tuna salad sandwich. Simply made with tuna, fresh herbs, a little olive oil and lemon you can't get any closer to perfection. Afterwards go visit the troll underneath the Aurora Bridge.
Thursday, June 24, 2010
Wednesday, June 23, 2010
Snoqualmie Falls. It was so fun to show her around a little bit since she just moved to Seattle. I met Jenna through and expat group in Switzerland. It has been two years since we have seen each other. Afterwards we picked up her husband, and went to one of my favorite restaurants in Seattle called Rositas Mexican Grill. Yummy!
Trophy cupcake. My favorite is the peanut butter and Jelly with the Smore coming in close second.
Wednesday, June 16, 2010
Monday, June 14, 2010
Friday, June 11, 2010
Boy oh boy do we all wish we were in South Africa right now with tickets to the World Cup. Unfortunately, that just wasn't in our budget, but it is our dream that someday we will be able to attend the games live and not just watch them on the TV. Can you tell how excited these guys are to have the games begin today.
Tuesday, June 8, 2010
Monday, June 7, 2010
big news is Roman is finally potty trained. He did it all by himself. The first day we were there he announced to me that he had to go potty and ran to the bathroom to go. He has only had a few accidents, but he is so proud of himself. Except for night he is pull-up free-Yeah!