Spontaneity "Corner View"



image by Bruce da Moose google images

A long time ago I use to be spontaneous, so much so that one time when I was in college I wanted to see Crater Lake so badly that  when given a free weekend I just got in my car and drove there  by myself.  See, I couldn't get anyone to go with me.  It was a 5 hour drive from Portland.  My best friend hates driving in the car.  I couldn't sell her on the trip.  My boyfriend had just dumped me, so he was no longer an option.  I left after work.  I had no hotel booked.  Thinking back on the situation it was kind of a stupid thing for me to do.  This was before the days of cheap sell phones, so had I had problems I would have been in trouble.  I arrived at Crater Lake around 11 at night.  I found a cheap hotel.  I was so scared of the clerk that I put the dresser up against the door before I went to sleep.  The next morning I ate breakfast and headed to the State Park to see the Lake.  I remember the day being cold.  It was early spring and there was still some snow on the ground.  The day was grey; but the lake was still lovely.  I  could now say I had been to Crater Lake.  I sat their for a couple of hours bundled in my jacket.  I spent some time reading my scriptures and contemplating what direction I wanted to go in (remember I was just dumped by my boyfriend).  When I felt at peace, I got back in my car and made the 5 hour drive home.  18 years later trips like this don't happen anymore.  Between my husbands work, the children school, and their activities our free time is limited.  Summer offers a little more spontaneity, but still most of our activities are pretty much planned out weeks in advance.  I am a planner!  The only thing spontaneous I get to do these days is bake thanks to a well stocked pantry.  If you haven't seen the apple cake I made yesterday check it out!  The cake is so moist and fluffy.  A piece of fall!   

Comments

Theresa said…
I think what you did was brave. I understand that girl so well. I remember that age so well. And now as mothers, we have to be well organized to do our jobs well.
Menthe Blanche said…
Very nice story! I love spontaneous actions! I'm trying to make (small) spontaneous things regularly: go to a restaurant, have a drink with friends, ... I don't plan anyway.
Stephanie said…
Isn't Crater Lake SO BEAUTIFUL! What an amazing place!

I loved reading about this adventure. What an awesome experience and what a beautiful memory.
Bonnie said…
I loved reading this. My best friend and I did a similar thing in our early twenties ... together. I would never have been brave enough to do it on my own. We just hopped in the car one day and drove from Colorado to Reno. We had friends to stay with. While we were there we spontaneously drove to San Fransciso as well. It was SO MUCH fun and I will remember it forever ! But now, I'm like you ... I'm a planner. Little glimpses of spontaneity are rare ! Maybe when they kids are grown and it's just me and my man the spontaneity will return ? We'll see .... :)
Shauna said…
I think my dad took me here when I was little, I'll have to ask him. It's very beautiful in the picture. I love the story, the dresser in front of the door is classic. I love your courage. Take care,

Shauna xoxoxxo
Kelly said…
This sounds like something I would do. If we lived close to each other, we could do crazy spontaneous stuff together!
Francesca said…
I guess this is why many mothers craft and cook - they're indeed spontaneous actions that can be done around children and at home!
That is the best part of being young....the adventure! What a fun memory! I think of spontaneity now would be to not cook dinner and go out instead.....now that is living! Haha! Have a wonderful day!
Unknown said…
Oh, Kelleyn! What an adventure! I think you were brave to strike out on your own like that. I hope it brought you peace.

(I'm not nearly as spontaneous as I was before I had kids either, but somehow -- I'm still grateful for the unplanned adventures I had when I was younger.)
Unknown said…
I'm a planner too! I could probably stand to be more spontaneous once in awhile.
Redeker said…
seems great to do this and what an amazing place, funny enough I also put a crater / vulcano on for this weeks CV!
What an incredible thing to do! Spontaneous and brave. And I love the way you used the opportunity to have a really good think about what you wanted out of your life. Fabulous :-)

Popular Posts