Would you leave a Child in a Car alone?

Would you leave a child in a Car alone seems to be the biggest question being asked right now after reading this article?  Don't judge me, but I have!  I have left my children in the car while at Domino's or at the dry cleaners, but then my car wasn't probably more than 10 feet from me and I could see my car at all times. I have never left my children in the car while getting my hair done, getting my nails done, or while grocery shopping.  My mom use to leave me in the car.  I remember clearly her running into Kmart or the grocery store for an item or two. I was never left in the car on a hot day or for more than 10-15 minutes.  I wasn't kidnapped.  I am sure I even developed patience from the action.  While I do not agree with this woman leaving her 4 year old in the car even if it wasn't hot, does it make her a criminal?  In my opinion she should have made the child go in with her or turned around and left without getting the child the headphones. At 4, I don't believe the child would not have known not to open the doors for a stranger. Would I have reported her?  No, unless the child was in danger because of heat exposure, and this child wasn't.  The reason why I am bringing up the article is do you know what your state laws are?  Do you know how old your child needs to be in order to stay in the car alone or home alone for that matter.  The article got me curious about what my state laws were on this matter.  A few years ago, I got a ticket for not moving over for a police man.  I didn't even know it was a law.  It had only been made a law a couple months previously.  When I went to court they gave me an opportunity to speak to an attorney.  I told the attorney my story and he told me ignorance is not a plea for not guilty.  Since it was my first traffic offence, I got a reduced ticket!  It was still pretty stiff.  Anyway, What do you think?


Roman 2010

Comments

Dana said…
She is not a criminal, I agree. I don't understand why the 4 year old was allowed to make the decision! Goodness.

And, yes. I have and will continue to live my child in the car alone. Now that she is 10 it's not much of an issue, actually. Or might it be in USA? IDK.....

D
I have never left my kids in the car because I was too terrified that they would suddenly miss me and get out and possibly get hit by a car or suffocate or…

It's just not worth it. Now that Landon is almost 6 and the other two are much bigger, I might leave them while I stand a few feet away at the ATM but that is my limit and even then I check on him every three seconds.

I know other people who leave their kids in the car while they run in to grab something in the store, but I would never do it myself because I have heard too many horror stories and I just don't want to live with regrets like that.
Francesca said…
i never did when they were little, and I can't remember when I started leaving the boys together alone in the car for super short amounts of time. rebecca is 7, and i don't leave her alone in the car, unless she's with her brothers

Popular Posts