Iceland Day 1


Yesterday, we left Atlanta shortly after 5 and traveled to Boston where we had about a 3-hour layover.  Boston has to be one of the worst airports I have been to in a long time.  The layout is super crazy and confusing and there are no escalators which resulted in whining children.  Also, after 8 p almost all of the shops and restaurants were closed except for the high-end expensive restaurants.  It also lacked proper seating.  On a positive note, the flight to Boston was easy, and from Boston, we only had 4 1/2 hours to Iceland.  Sadly, none of us were able to get any sleep.  I think I maybe got in a 30-minute catnap.  Going through customs in Iceland is super easy and we were out the door within 30 minutes after arrival.  My friend Buffi's plane was delayed out of Newark and so she ended up arriving 90 minutes after us.  After getting our car, we swung by Costco to get some gas and some groceries.  The kids fell asleep in the car and so while they were sleeping my friend and I swung by a restaurant called Sea Barron.  We got Tusk fish on a skewer and it did not disappoint.  It was so good.  Then since it was such a lovely day we swung by the famous iconic church called Hallgrimskirkja.  We planned to go back and go inside on another day, but we just didn't have the heart to wake up the children.  Our Air B and B are actually pretty close, so I am sure we will walk over at some point before we leave.  Once we got all our stuff settled in the apartment, we fed the children and took a long nice nap.  Buffi my friend is currently out walking because it is such a lovely evening. The kids were still pretty trashed and didn't want to go on a walk, so I stayed back with them. Tomorrow we are off to drive the Golden Circle.  I hope tomorrow will be just as a lovely day as it was today. While it wasn't very warm at barely 50 degrees, the sun was shining and we were greeted with beautiful purple lupin everywhere! In some ways, the city reminds me a lot of Anchorage where I grew up; however, the mountains here are on a much smaller scale and the land is very flat in some places and in others very bumpy from the lava.  It is a beautiful country.  I can't wait to get out and explore more, but I am heading off to bed in a few minutes as I am so tired.  Vertu Saell- Bye


Comments

lesh Stgermain said…
It almost sounds like you have been to Iceland before? Anyways, hope you have a grand time!
Dearest Kelleyn,
That sounds really good; so far and the rest will be fabulous.
My youngest brother went to Iceland several times and loved it, so did his wife and daughter.
Wow, did reply to your comment on my post...
Went to the airport in vain as Delta was NOT able to get me on the rebooked flight. They'd cancelled my (and lots of others' original flight)... Wonder why?!
After two hours at the airport we drove back with our designated driver and will attempt again tomorrow for finally making it across the pond.
Hugs,
Mariette
William Kendall said…
I'd love to see Iceland.

Popular Posts