Summer Reading

These days I don't have as much time to read as I would like, but this summer I am really trying my best to empty the basket of books I have collected.  I just finished reading Lunch in Paris by Elizabeth Bard.  I had read her book Picnic in Provence a week earlier and really enjoyed it and thought I should read her previous book.  I have to say I liked her second book much better.  I don't know if it is becoming a little more mature, having a child, or moving to Provence, but in her second book Elizabeth is someone I would want to get to know.  In Lunch in Paris, I found her to slightly whinny and despite all her capabilities someone not very confident despite saying over and over she has a ton of American Optimism. I know it is her story, but I wish there had been more stories of discovering Paris and humor in being an ex-pat.  Maybe she had felt that angel had been covered by Peter Mayle who is famous for his French Expat stories.  Who knows!   I did relate to being an American with a mother-in-law from another countryside of the story. I love my mother-in-law.  She is amazing.  I have to admit and I am sure she would admit that it isn't always easy to relate to one another because we come from two different cultures and speak two different languages, and because of this we have had a few misunderstandings. I haven't had an opportunity to try the recipes yet, but if they are as good as the ones in the second book than I will be the last to complain.
Currently, I am reading Factory Girls by Leslie Chang.  This book talks about the lives of millions of factory workers in particular women in China while following the lives of a few young women.  The book also recounts Leslie's family history while living in China and in the United States.  The book is not light and not particularly an easy read that one would think of as summer reading; however, I found the book to be fascinating.  It has helped me to have a better understanding of my daughter's culture and heritage.  This book is not an adoption story, but as I have said it has helped me to understand the Chinese culture at a much deeper level.

.

Next on my list is to finish Inferno, by Dan Brown.  I have picked this book up a couple of times but for one reason or another haven't finished it.  I have enjoyed his other books Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons, so I am hoping I will like this one equally when I am finished.  I have two other books in my basket I would like to read: the first one is Under Magnolia by Frances Mayes.  I have no idea what this book is about by I have enjoyed her other books and the last book is by Mitch Albom titled The Time Keeper.  I also have no idea what this one is about but have also read other books written by him.  How about you?  Do you ever simply just read a book because it was written by an author you have read in the past?  I do!  I have read just about every book written by Nicholas Sparks and also by Peter Mayle.  Well, I am off to the gym.  It is just too hot outside to go for a walk.  I made that mistake yesterday when I thought I could take the girls to the park to play.  We were a sweaty mess.  What are you reading this summer?  

Comments

Linda said…
I mostly like non-fiction books and I love the Chicken Soup for the Soul series. You have a lovely blog. :)
Francesca said…
I too can relate to the mother in law from another country, only I'm the European side of the story!
No books on my list this summer - I have so many New Yorkers to catch up with!
Le monde dÖ said…
I hope you'll have plenty of time to read this summer!!!I like your list!
I'm reading a book by a French Philosopher and I have to read the book of a friend about Posttraumatic stress disorder... Then I'll try something different for my holidays ;)))
Have a nice day.

Popular Posts