June Movie Reviews

I am finding it harder and harder these days to find good movies to watch, but here are a few that I have watched over the last couple of months.

The first movie is great for your children or grandchildren. Maya The Bee-The Honey Games came out this past winter  The theme of friendship, teamwork, and perseverance are so perfectly woven throughout the movie.  One can feel good about renting this movie.





The next movie is one for the grown-ups.  Based on the true story of Bart Millard the lead singer of Mercy Me.  The movie explains how the song I Can Only Imagine was inspired and it impacts on the many who have found hope in the song.  While the movie is not worthy of an Academy Award it is interesting to see how despite the conditions in which Bart grew up in he was able to turn his life around and be an inspiration to many. Some may find the story boring, but I always find these types of stories interesting.



The next movie is based on the life of Mary Shelley the author of the book Frankenstein.  Frankenstein is one of my favorite books despite it not being my favorite genre.  I read the book in college and 25 years later I still find it to be one of the most brilliant books ever written and even more impressive that it was written by a 19-year-old woman which today wouldn't be that impressive, but given that the book was written in 1817 woman were not really given the chance to publish nor did they really tackle such subjects matters.  Just for context, Jane Eyre wasn't published for another 30 years and she tackles themes of love in the conscripts of social status and propriety.  I enjoyed this movie.  It was well produced though I do have one complaint is that they twisted the facts of the story as I assume to tie up her life and inspiration for the book in a couple years span.  I wish they could have told her story with correct facts.  One fact not correct is that one is lead to believe that the death of her daughter Claire had an impact on her writing the story, but Claire was not born until 4 months later.  One is lead to believe the book was written in England. The book was written in Switzerland. Prior to this movie, I did not know that she had an affair with Percy prior to their marriage and it was a great scandal at the time causing Percy's first wife to kill herself.  I was also not aware that her mother died when she was just days old.  Thus a theme of abandonment and despair which comes across in the book. I found this all very interesting.  The movie also addresses how advances in science and medical technology and Mary's interest in them play a role in the book's and movie theme.



The next movie may not be everyone's cup of tea as it is primarily directed towards the teenage market, the movie is titled Every Day.  The story is about a teenage girl who befriends and falls in love with a personage who wakes up in a different body each day.  The personage being the same age but not always the same sex.  Kind of a weird concept to wraps one head around to say the least which at first I wasn't really buying, but I think the concept isn't supposed to be really literal but more figurative.  I will let you watch this movie yourself and let me know what you think.



The last movie is another children's movie Sherlock Gnomes and I have to give it a thumbs down.  The movie contains no great musical score and no really good theme and while completely child-friendly is a complete waste of time to watch. The only thing I liked about the movie was that it was about garden gnomes which I just adore. I am glad that I didn't see this one in the movie theater.  My kids weren't really thrilled with the movie either and ended up not finishing the movie.




One more suggestion is if you are looking for something good to watch on TV than I can highly suggest the TV show Suits now in its 7th season.  You can find it on Netflix and Amazon and probably on Hulu though I haven't checked. I watched the first episode out of curiosity in Megan Markle. I had never really heard of her until her engagement with Prince Harry.  I was totally addicted and my poor children poor things got put on the back burner as I watched one episode after another.  The storyline is based on a New York corporate lawyer firm. Ok, I better run!  My husband and I are going to go on a date to explore the nearby city of Bad Homburg.  Can't wait!  Have a great week!

Comments

Jeanna said…
Thumbs down on the Gnomes huh, it looks like a good one from the poster but that really means nothing. I watched suits just to see if he got caught without knowing who she was. When I realized that's who everyone was talking about I was kind of surprised, thinking Donna was the coolest one and Meghan was kind of second tier, but I too got caught up until S7 which comes with commercials until it's on Netflix.
Lydia C. Lee said…
I've not even heard of half these movies - except Gnomes.
Thanks for the movie tips, Kelleyn, and for the recommendation on reading Frankenstein. I am not a movie goer but every now and then do enjoy going out to see a film in the theater, Hope you had a great date night!

Popular Posts