Szechenyi Thermal Baths Budapest, Hungary

An important component of any vacation is time to relax and when in Europe it can oftentimes be hard to find just the right balance between relaxing and the desire to see everything.  If you are anything like me, you want to see it all because flying across the ocean to Europe just doesn't happen every day.  Years ago, I came across an article about the Szechenyi thermal baths in Budapest, Hungary and I thought it had to be one of the coolest places on the earth.  At the time, I had no plans of going to hungry, but I am glad I had saved that article because truly this place is cool.  It turns out that Budapest is the "City of Baths", so it is the right place to go if you want to go and relax,  We bought our tickets to the bath through a tour company called Viator, but you don't have too.  You can just show up at the door and purchase a ticket to go in.  Our ticket was a package, so it included the entrance fee and provided us with individual changing cabins.  In addition, I purchased a 30-minute Swedish massage.  It was wonderful!
 Here are some things you need to know about visiting the bath.
 1) It is super easy to get to through the city subway system.
 2) You can bring your own towel, but if you forget to then you can rent one or buy one there.
 3) Swim caps are required for certain areas.  You can either bring your own, or they have ones you can rent.
 4) They speak English at this thermal bath.  When we presented our ticket, someone guided us through the facility and explained where everything was and what we needed to do.  Though be careful to follow the signs, or you will get more than an eyeful like my friend Lucy.  Oops!
5) The facility is large and there are not a whole lot of guides on the property, so if you schedule a      massage then make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get to the designated room for massages.
6) Food:  You can bring your own food and drinks or you can enjoy lunch at the cafe.  You can also purchase a drink or a light snack there if you don't want to sit down and have lunch.
7) Pools are indoors and outdoors.  Each pool has a different mineral content and temperature.
8) Give yourself time to enjoy it!  This is not an activity you can do in an hour!










Comments

NCSue said…
Checkers in the pool? What a concept - I've never seen that before!
Thanks for linking up at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2015/09/shake-those-tail-feathers.html
Your pictures are lovely--I think I am the only person on the planet who did not like the baths. I didn't think I was such a germaphob, but this facility threw me over the edge. It looks beautiful though! :)
Francesca said…
a place I've always wanted to visit!
Molly said…
Wow, this looks so cool. I love the chess boards

Mollyxxx

Popular Posts