The Hunger Games

I just finished reading The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins. Wow! This book was fantastic! While normally this is not my genre, I found the book interesting. The book takes place in futurist United States. The country is ruled by a group of people called the Capitol in a city called Panem located some where in the Rockies. The United States has been divided into 12 regions and one region can not communicate with one another because of rebellions. Why this has happened is because of wars and devastation. Anyway, because of the rebels each year two people in the ages of 12-18 from each region are picked to participate in what is called the Hunger Games. Nothing like the Olympics either because the objective is to kill all the other opponents off until one is left standing. The winner will receive fame an glory for it's region along with prizes that will benefit their family. The Capitol does this to remind the people that they are in control and to remind them how bad things were without them. I can't wait to read the sequel Catching Fire. This book is perfect for the teen age group and above. It reminded me of another book while not exactly the same called The Giver by Lois Lowry. This book would make for the perfect book club discussion because you would not be without something to talk about. Have you read this book?

Comments

Kim N said…
I loved this book too and I am looking forward to the third book. Book two is just as good as this one.

I LOVE The Giver as well. I have been reading more books like these this past year than ones meant for adults. I want to be prepared to suggest books for my kids and I am really enjoying them.

One of my favorite authors is Kate DiCamillo. Her book, Tiger Rising, is one of my favorites.
Audra said…
Yes and I loved it! It was one of the books I actually made it through this year! I made it through real fast actually because I couldn't put it down. Read the second book and let's talk. It went a direction I did not want it to take. But so far, I seem to be the only one who feels this way. Everyone else loves it as much as the first book.

Your summary of the book is really good!

I also loved The Giver.
sandals said…
LOVE this book! Can't wait for the third book in the series to come out. Make sure you read "Catching Fire", too!
Emily said…
I adored this book as well! Catching Fire is very good as well. Have you read Graceling? Totally different in many ways, but for some reason when I think of one, I think of the other. Not just because they were published in the same year!

Popular Posts