Reading for the Little Ones in Your Life

We are readers in our house.  My children didn't just naturally love to read, but with persistence and finding books they love we have created readers in our home. “To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark.” – Victor Hugo.  I also love this quote by Neil Gaiman, " A book is a dream that you hold in your hand.”  According to the Department of Education, the more students read or are read to for fun on their own time and at home, the higher their reading scores, generally."  I honestly believe that creating strong readers opens the
 world to a child.  Here is a link to books every child should read.  Here is a list of books we are reading in our home at the moment.


My girls loved this book and literally it did open their eyes to the world as the book takes you on a journey around the world collecting ingredients for an apple pie.  Included at the back of the book is a recipe for an apple pie too!  While we haven't made the pie yet, it is on our to-do list.  The girls are looking forward to helping.


This book is for the teenagers in your lives and is a great book about teaching grit and resiliency.  A story of a young boy who is a soldier in WWII and how he survives being captured by the Japanese.  Afterward, watch the movie with them.  Our son Winston is almost finished with this book.  I am glad we were able to convince him to read this book.  He does love reading Japanese anime when he isn't reading for school work. 


Roman is currently loving this James Patterson Series called Middle School.  Similar to the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series for a boy who doesn't love to read this is a great start  They are generally quick reads and very humorous.  In school, they are reading a book titled Death by Toilet Paper.  A story about a boy named Ben whose father dies leaving his mother struggling to pay the bills.  Ben enters a contest in hopes of winning the prize money so that he can help his mother finish her CPA exams and keep them from getting evicted.  When he brought the book home I was too be honest a little puzzled as to what type of books they were having him read, but the book actually deals with some pretty harsh realities hopefully creating a dialog for children to think about; especially, those less fortunate than themselves.


Lola Dutch is a beautifully written and illustrated book by Kenneth and Sarah Jane Wright about the adventures of  Lola who as you can see sports a pink tutu.  The character reminds me very much of my daughter Addy. This is one I have had to read to the girls because it is just a little beyond their reading capabilities, but the girls love it.

We also read:



This book was great in talking about our girl's Chinese traditions and culture, but I assure you that you don't have to be Chinese to enjoy this book.  Last but not least the girls are really enjoying the Katy Woo book series which are early reader primers.  The books have great theme topics and are great at including children of all ethnicities.  Well, I am off. as I need to go back as we are heading to Nashville this weekend to visit some friends.  I am also doing a photo shoot while in Nashville.  Hoping the weather cooperates.  It is supposed to rain on Friday and be cloudy on Saturday and Sunday with partial sun.  Hope you have a great weekend.  

Comments

William Kendall said…
Enjoy the trip. I don't have kids, but i was already reading before school.
Veronica Lee said…
I,too,believe that creating strong readers opens the world to a child. Great roundup of books.
Sharon said…
I love that there is a version of Unbroken for young people and that they can learn this story of bravery. I still read children's books just for me sometimes. This is a helpful list!
Sharon Wagner said…
I would love to read unbroken. The other titles made me wish I was still illustrating.

Popular Posts