March Movie Review











Hi! How are you guys? Are you looking forward to the weekend? It is spring break here in Hessen and we are off to Ireland in the morning. We are so excited. I have been before, but not with my children and this time we are visiting a bunch of places I have never been to before, so it should be a lot of fun. As you can see, I am pretty pathetic with too much free time on my hands. I am just not a fan of the cold, so we have been hanging at home, but Ireland is just the kick off to the final home stretch here in Europe and we have a ton of places we plan on seeing before heading home to the states.  We go home on July 10th and I am mixed with emotions as I am ready to go back home, but I know we are going to miss so much about Germany.  I am so grateful for this opportunity we have had to be able to spend the year here in Europe. So let's get started on this movie review the first movie is Lady Bird.  I just adore Saoirse Ronan.  I fell in love with her in the movie Brooklyn. The movie is set in Sacramento in 2002 around the time we went to war with Iraq.  Lady Bird as she calls herself is a young woman who is trying to find herself and her independence during her senior year in high school.  Oh those high school years, do you remember them.  I do and I have no desire to go back.  I give this movie a thumbs up! Next movie up is Wonder Wheel which is set in the 1950s and takes place on Coney Island.  The movie stars Justin Timberlake, Kate Winslet, Juno Temple, and Jim Belushi.  A perfect cast for this movie.  Silly me didn't know that it was directed by Woody Allen, but as I was watching the movie I was like this movie reminds me of Woody Allen and sure enough, it was and how I didn't know that well who knows.  Anyway, the movie is about a middle-aged woman who is unhappy in her marriage with dreams of something more strikes up an affair with the local lifeguard.  It all begins to unravel when her step-daughter also falls for the lifeguard. Throw in a mob boss and a kid who is fascinated with setting fires and you have a perfect combination of humor and entertainment. Irreplaceable You a Netflix original production is a story of a young couple who after dating many years decides to get married, but just as they begin the preparations for the wedding she is diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. While the movie is sad it is also tender and sweet and reminds us to live our lives to the fullest. The Last Jedi was kind of a disappointment for me.  Maybe feeling the need to wrap the series up the writers felt the need to produce this movie, but the movie just did not live up to the quality of the original movies. I may be wrong, but I think they maybe spinning off in the direction of Hans Solo, but then who knows. I have to say that I am not an expert on the film series and missed movies 1, 2, 3 but saw the original movies which are 4, 5, and 6.  My son enjoyed the movie.  So it was a win there and I enjoyed spending time with him.  The premise of the movie is that the rebels are fighting for their existence.  Almost on the verge of extinction, they are looking for the help of Luke to bring them to safety.  Luke a Jedi Master and trainer has lost faith and does not feel up to the challenge though he does depart his knowledge onto Rey. The Post starring Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks deals with the Vietnam War and with first right amendments of freedom of speech.  I was just a small child at this time so I have a very faint recollection of this time period.  I always was under the impression that the war was so unpopular because of the fact that we lost and so many men lost their lives, but in reality, we learn that the leaders knew beforehand the war was a losing battle. The movie only spans a time period of maybe a week and is not very fast paced, but I found it very educational.  I can see this movie being used in a classroom to teach about this time period.
The Novitiate a movie set in the 1960s and takes you through the process of becoming a nun. This movie is not a documentary and while I am sure it has some elements of truth it is a completely fictional story.  Originally, I was drawn to the story because of the process of becoming a nun is absolutely fascinating. but the movie lost me when it began to venture off into masturbation and lesbianism.  While I am not a complete sexual prude and I have nothing against lesbians I felt this diversion in the story unnecessary. I wasn't sure if the director's message was that the process of becoming a nun turned the young woman into lesbians out of the need for comfort or if becoming a nun during this time period was a natural hiding place for the woman who are lesbians as it was not acceptable at this time in history.  Another theme in this movie is how policies in the Catholic church eventually lead to a mass exodus from joining the sisterhood. The Shape of Water was also not another favorite of mine and makes me think I need to return to not watching R rated movies.  I simply was lured in by all the hoopla of the Oscars.  Again the movie dived into masturbation and homosexuality and to be honest I just don't need to see that on the screen. I felt like the director or writer simply did so to draw what they thought might be an increase in ticket prices.  So frustrating! Yuck!  It makes me sad as this could have been a cute story of a lonely woman who finds love in a strange alien-like creature. Why it won so many awards I have no idea!  What did you think?  Did you see this movie!  Do you think it deserved Best Picture? The last movie for review was the movie Downsizing.  A cute story of a man who frustrated with his life buys into the idea of downsizing.  Matt Damon, the main character of this film, after learning that scientist have come up with a way to shrink humans as a solution to the overpopulation problem feels like he could really do something to make a difference if he were to be downsized.  I wasn't really sure what to think about this movie before I watched it as it just seems to be so far fetched. The movie received mix reviews at the box office. I have to say while the actors where phenomenal it was not the best movie of 2017.  It was entertaining I give it that and it did make me think of being happy and how running off for a new life does not solve problems in one's life.  Well, I hope you found this movie review helpful.  Praying 2018 will bring some really fantastic movies at the box office. I am not sure how much I will be able to get online in the next couple of weeks but check back.  I promise you some really beautiful photos of our vacation in Ireland.  Also, coming up our 2 years with Ivy. See you when I get back.  Thanks for reading and I really appreciate all of your comments.  You can follow me on Instagram if you would like to see photos of Ireland in real time.  Gotta go now and finish packing.  Have a great weekend!

Comments

Phil Slade said…
Enjoy your time in The Emerald Isle Kelleyn. I have been a couple of times to both Cork and Dublin and really enjoyed the craic. Don't forget to try a spot of Irish Whisky!
Claudia said…
Have a great time in Ireland! I hope to go there one day too ...
Big hugs, Claudia
Mandy said…
You were busy movie-watching this month!

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Lady Bird. I've watched it like 3 times since I first saw it in December. It's incredible. (But I didn't like Brooklyn?) The Post was meh. And I hated Downsizing. Wonder Wheel and Irreplaceable You look good.

Popular Posts