Prague Food edition "Corner view Fire"









The first thing you should know about Prague is that food is expensive.  I think it has to be one of the most expensive places in terms of food we have ever been too.  Now I don't mind paying for a good meal, but if you do a sit down dinner in Prague you will find a lot of filler on your plate such as potato dumpling, bread dumpling, and cabbage and very little meat (as shown in the last photo).  I liked my meat, but the rest I could pass on.  The second thing is that they have a fee for just sitting down that is about 10 euros or $13 American dollars.  We didn't know this until it was too late.  What we should have noticed was that no one was eating and just drinking beer.  Actually, I don't know how the restaurants are staying open because we never saw anyone eating at them.  Your best bet for food is to eat a great breakfast in your hotel.  If you have a mini bar or fridge take some of your breakfast back to your room for later.  Pick something up at the store (Billa).  The other options are street food which is more reasonable like the Prague sausage that my husband is eating or fast food which there are plenty of but not cheap.  A meal at McDonald's will run you about 8 euros.  Just so you know they don't use euros in Prague, but the Cech crowner; however, I am using that as a point of reference.  My favorite of the street food was the Trdelnik a pastry wrapped around a wooden stick that is cooked over hot coals then dipped into vanilla sugar.  The second would be the Langose which is Hungarian fried dough topped with Nutella.  I think if we were ever to go back, we might try going outside the city for a good meal.  I am sure the prices might be cheaper.  Definitely a tourist trap or as my husband calls it a TT. 

Comments

Joyce said…
Interesting information. I know when I decide to travel abroad I am going to reach out for your help. :) Dumplings I haven't had in ages. xo
Elizabeth said…
A fee for sitting down - good grief!
Those pastry things in the top photo look delicious
(and if you eat them standing up - no calories!)
Theresa said…
You are on such a grand adventure! I am so happy for you.
Shauna said…
Very interesting. It reminds me of places in Europe that don't serve water, let alone ice water. Europe is so great, but I'm happy to know that we can get great food here in all price ranges!!!!! Take care,

Shauna
tanïa said…
I'd love to taste that Trdelnik, looks yummy!!
Kasia said…
That pastry looks so delicious!
Prague is so beautiful; shame it is so expensive.
Anonymous said…
how interesting that it is so expensive and not so good. I remember from Vienna the Trdelniks, but I never tasted them (i don't have such a sweet tooth) and there was a lot of different things to try and not that expensive :)
nadine paduart said…
kelleyn!!!! yammmmmmm!!!!!
yammmm, and yammmm!
oh, and what good advice, i never knew that {and wouldn't have expected this of prague}.
yes, deffo a TT, by the sounds of it.
n♥
Menthe Blanche said…
I went to Prague in 2004 but I haven't tasted this lovely pastry. I'm happy to see your pictures of Prague, it brings me back good memories! I posted a long time ago some pictures of this city, if you want to see them (there are very few)...
http://mentheblanche.blogspot.fr/2011/01/monday-trip-2-prague.html
Francesca said…
it's sometimes hard to find good and inexpensive places to eat in touristy destinations!
Arctic Mum said…
I agree, we had expensive food and drinks while there. That was twelve years ago, and I went with two girlfriends. We stayed in a hotel with cockroaches, went to a hilarious club (where we were asked if we had any weapons when we entered, which we found highly amusing), and I had gyros on the street before the flight home. And was food poisoned....But we had fun. Today I would be on a different level-comfort wise!
Anonymous said…
I found your blog post while searching for good eats in prague. I grew up in Virginia and currently reside in Germany. I have to say Prague is very inexpensive compared to Paris, London and MANY European cities. Unfortunately you experienced high prices and seating fee because you ate at busy tourist trap areas. Normally a dinner with wine or beer is 20 euros or 25 dollars. I'm a chef and always seek out great restaurants off the beaten path and frequented by locals, those are almost always inexpensive and true to local taste. You may try things that isn't offered on the tourist trap restaurant menu but that's not a bad thing. McDonalds is the worst thing to eat outside of US and now even in the states with pink slime.
likeschocolate said…
Yes, I agree McDonalds is not the best food to eat. Since I was not the only one on this trip it was not my choice to eat there. Had we not had a baby with us we would have probably gone off the beaten path, but our stroller broke and we could not find anywhere to repair it since it was a holladay weekend. 25 euros is still very expensive when you are on a budget. You can get a very good meal in Germany with a drink for under 12 euros. Even in Austria you can get a fantastic meal for 15 euros and the same with Holland and even Paris. Most people do not have $25 euros to spend on a meal. We spent almost $100 euros on a very terriable meal. I am sure under other conditions we could have found a very good meal, but I did not do my homework this trip.

Popular Posts