Summer Reading


 

What is on your list this summer?  I just finished reading Happy Place a story about 6 friends who gather each summer in Maine, but now that Sabrina's father is selling the place the friends grapple with what the place means for them and how their lives are transitioning after college.  Can their friendship hold up as they are now scattered?  The story is told from the character of Harrietta who is trying to make sense of her broken relationship with her boyfriend Wyn.  Harrietta hasn't told her friends that she and Wyn are no longer a couple for fear of ruining everyone's week.  Having read Emily Henry's other book People We Meet on Vacation this storyline was not my favorite.  Despite the characters approaching their 30's it felt like they were much younger.  I had to kind of force myself to finish this one.  This book was not my Happy Place.

The Club written by Ellery Lloyd a collaboration between a husband and wife.  This story takes place in England on an exclusive island for A-listers. The story is about a young woman who wants to work for this resort club, about the brother of the mastermind behind the club, and the owner of the club. Chaos breaks out when the owner disappears. Did someone kill him and if so, then who?  This book was a book club book by Reece Witherspoon.  Again also not a favorite.  Out of 5 stars, I gave this one a two.  I apparently wasn't alone.  It seemed like many others also didn't like this book as much.  The book switches back and forth between days in the timeline and also the characters which makes it hard to follow along. 

Currently, I am reading Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory for what I think must be my third time.  I love this story.  It is a classic.  I am reading this book with Ivy.  She is totally enjoying the story.  We are going to follow up the book with the movie.  

What else is on my bedside table?  The Saints of Swallow Hill, Can't Hurt Me an autobiography, and the Henna Artist.  Have you read any of these books and if so what did you think?

Comments

William Kendall said…
My reading choices tend to be quite different.

Popular Posts