A Taste of Fall


Hi!  Did you have a good weekend!  It was a lovely weekend here in Georgia.  Saturday started off a a little chilly, but by late Saturday afternoon the sun was out and it had warmed up considerably. I am happy for the 80 degree days and will enjoy them while they last. It has been a full weekend for us. Winston had two soccer games this weekend, Frank and Harris went to see Snowden, and Winston went to a youth activity at the Christmas Tree Farm where they ate played, played games, and hung out by the camp fire.  The girls and I went to a baptism for my good friend Lucy's son Andrew and then to a fall festival where they jumped in the bouncy house, painted pumpkins, and eat got their faces painted.  Now they are all fast asleep in bed and I am ready to go watch Poldark.  Have you seen this TV show.  It is on PBS and I am loving it.  Though I can't wait for another season of Call the Midwives to come out in the spring.  What are you watching these days?   Have you ever had butternut squash soup?  It is so good.  It is the perfect taste of fall.  Here is my recipe.

Butternut Squash Curry Soup
2 large size butternut squash peeled and diced into chunks
2 large sweet onion chopped
4 apples peeled and chopped into chunks
2 Tablespoons of butter and 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
2 Tablespoons of mild curry
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups of water and 2 cups of apple juice
Sour cream and pumpkin seeds for garnish

In a large stock pan melt butter and oil and saute the onions until translucent.  Then add curry powder and cook for about a minute.  Then add squash, apples, water, and juice.  Cook on medium heat until squash is soft.  Then transfer in small batches to the blender or with a hand held blender where you will blend but leave it a little chunky as I think this makes the soup better and also you won't feel like you are eating baby food.  Transfer back to stock pot and add your salt and pepper.  (about 1-2 teaspoons of salt and about a 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.  Serve with a teaspoon of sour cream and sprinkle some pumpkin seeds on top.  Perfect with a large crusty loaf of bread and a leafy green salad.



Comments

The Soup looks and sounds delicious. I admire any busy mother who takes time to cook from scratch! Good for you! And lucky kids!
Marleen said…
That looks really good! Perfect for an Autumn or Winter evening.
Ohmydearests said…
Soups are a staple during autumn and winter in our house! Have a lovely week!
Su-sieee! Mac said…
Your soup looks delicious. Yummmmm. I made a pot of chicken soup yesterday. Love soup season.
Anonymous said…
Ah, I just bought the butternut and curry yesterday! Looks like a great taste of Fall, Kelleyn! Many thanks for sharing your recipe with SEASONS! Have a great accomplished October week!
Fall and winter is absolutely the time for soup - and this one looks delicious. I am thinking that your squash is our pumpkin? I make pumpkin soup too, which has the addition of a tin of creamed corn. I like the idea of the curry though. Have a fabulous week. I am joining you at Imag-in-ing meme.
Buckeroomama said…
That sounds really yummy. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Tom said…
Looks yummy! Thanks for the visit, stop back again!
Rhonda Albom said…
This recipe looks delicious. I will try it on my next batch of pumpkin soup.
Tamar SB said…
That sounds and looks SO good!
The Artful Diva said…
I have made this soup many times - it's a favorite!
I adore a rich thick soup!! Great photography here...mouth is drooling.
elizabeth said…
This post is making my mouth water!
Aritha V. said…
Lekkere soep. Thank you!

Popular Posts