May Book Review

Lately, it has been hard to find time to read, but I am squeezing it in a little here and a  little there. I have a basket of books that I want to read by the end of this year, but geez Louise my days just seem to fly by.  8 days left until school is out, I couldn't be more excited.  Then we can sleep in a little!  Yahoo!  Anyways, I just got finished Reading a book titled The Girl with Seven Names by Hyeoseo Lee.  An incredible true story of her escape from North Korea.  Hyeoseo gives us a look into her life in North Korea which is utterly fascinating and explains the complexity of living outside of North Korea once one has escaped.  The stories she tells border on Sci-Fi fiction, but the sad reality is they are a daily reality for those who live in North Korea. This book is definitely worth reading.  It for sure puts one's life into perspective and helps one to appreciate the freedoms we so easily take for granted.


The next book is very popular right now on the many book club list.  It is titled Educated by Tara Westover.  This book is also a true story of the life of Tara who grew up in Idaho's backcountry off the grid.  Her parents religious extremist were anti-government and did not believe in public education, medicine, paying taxes, and the list goes on!  Her story is so outrageous that one finds it hard to believe, but yet it was her reality for 17 years.  As I read her account, I kept thinking to myself how in today's America were children allowed to be raised and borderline abused in the manner in which she grew up. Why didn't anyone report her parents to local officials? Who knows maybe someone did!  Educated is most definitely worth reading.




The last book that I have read recently is titled The Rain Watcher.   This book is written by Tatiana De Rosnay who also wrote Sarah's Key and Secret Kept.  I have to say that Rain Watcher was my least favorite of her books that I have read.  The story takes place in 2016 Paris, France in the summer around the time that the Seine River flooded.  Did you know that the river flooded back then?  I didn't and I feel ashamed because I feel like this is something I should have been aware of, but yet I had no clue.  Anyways, while the event of the flood is a part of the story it is not the what the book is about.  The story is about a man named Linden a famous photographer, who grew up in France, but now lives in San Francisco.  Linden comes home to celebrate his parents anniversary and while there his parents fall ill.  Linden wrestles with his complicated relationship with his father while also reflecting on his journey of becoming a homosexual.  He struggles with being open and honest with his family on his identity.   I think my biggest issue of this book is the manner in which it is written.  The story all takes primarily in Linden's head.  I really forced myself to continue turning each page and I found myself not identifying with the characters.  While I can sympathize with Linden on his struggles both with his father and as a gay man the story failed at drawing me in.  Have you read this book?  What did you think?  I was disappointed because I really loved Sarah's Key.  Well, the next book I am about to read is Where The Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens.  Have you read this book?  Did you like it?  I hope it is good! 


Comments

William Kendall said…
Thank you for pointing these out!
I am not familiar with any of these books, Kelleyn, so I appreciated your reviews.

Popular Posts